This course, which has several requirements set by state law, prepares students to be safe and capable drivers. Using a textbook and handouts, students will learn all aspects of proper highway use, as well as how to buy, insure and maintain a vehicle. In order to receive a completion card, students must attend a minimum of thirty hours in class, which limits them to five classroom absences. They must spend at least twelve hours in the car with the instructor; six of those hours are spent driving and six are spent observing. Students must average at least 70% on assessments for both the classroom and driving portions of the class.
****Students who want to take Driver Education MUST request Driver Education on their Course Request Form in February.****
The following procedure will be used to determine enrollment in Driver Education:
- Students must request Driver Education
- A list of students by “date of birth” will be created
- Oldest students will be offered a seat in semester 1 or semester 2
- Once the classes are at maximum seat capacity, a waitlist of the students who requested Driver Education in February will be established. (according to date of birth)
- If openings arise during the school year, students on the waitlist will be offered enrollment in Driver Education.
Openings will be offered to the oldest first.
- Students who request Driver Education after the course recommendation period and students new to U-32 will be placed at the end of the waitlist regardless of date of birth.
- Students who do not have their permit at two weeks prior to the start of class will be placed at the end of the waitlist
- Students who are removed due to attendance or fail the course must re-request the course in the following year.
Grade 10, 11, 12
Course length: 1 semester
Parents must make a commitment to accompany their child for 40 hours of driving practice (ten hours must be at night) and must complete a state form to verify their child's mastery of driving skills. Parents should plan to practice drive with their child one to three hours per week during this course. Students who want to get their driver's license before they turn 18 must pass this course.
Prerequisites: Students must submit a copy of their learner’s permit to the guidance office at least two weeks prior to the first class meeting.
Students must be available to drive during a free band or a lunch band. Entry is by Date of Birth.